Thursday, August 7, 2008

Long Weekend and the Road Calls


Since I have Friday off I am taking advantage of the long weekend and am going home to South Carolina for the weekend. I am in need of a break and really just want to get out of Oxford. My wanderlust has really kicked in this week and I am ready for summer to be over and to get back to travelling. I have spent so much time working on my schedule and finding interesting things to see and do during the semester that I am to the point I just want to experience them. Enough planning and talking; time for action.
On a different note, I finished a great book and saw a very average movie this week.
First, the book. My brother sent me a CD and a couple of books this week and one was called "Through Painted Deserts" by Donald Miller. The book is written about a trip Miller took with a good friend across the country in a VW bus. They started in Houston Texas and ended up in Oregon. It was good of some really great quotes (which may or may not make it into future posts) and really appealed to my romantic side. I have always wanted to do exactly what they did; jump into a car and just keep going until the money runs out. I think it would be amazing to see what you could find just by wandering.
And now for the movie review. I went and saw Step Brothers last night and came away unimpressed. As a disclaimer, I am not a huge fan of Will Ferrell movies and normally do not like them until after I see them several times. The one thing I was struck with was that the movie tried too hard to be over the top and crude. I almost felt like they thought of the most shocking things possible and then filled the script in around it. Some of the people I went to see the movie with laughed the whole way through and I was just overall unimpressed. I guess I really just don't appreciate dumb humor.