Friday, November 6, 2009

Up, Up, and Away

A good friend of mine that I have known since second grade came out to Reno. He is a pilot and was in the area. I got to catch up and show him Reno for a few days and on the day he left, he took me up in his plane for a ride around Tahoe.

The view from up in the air was different than what I am used to and I spent much of the trip gazing out of the window. We climbed to over 10,000 feet to clear the mountains surrounding the lake and then flew over the lake for a bit. Clayton let me fly the plane across the lake so now I can cross that one of the bucket list.

(You can click on any of the pictures to enlarge them.)


His plane. The wings and most of the body are actually covered in fabric. Yes, fabric.

Clayton and me in the cockpit. He actually looks like a pilot and I just pretended for the day.

The instrument panel in the plane. It was a pretty simple setup.

View of Mt. Rose Highway with Mt. Rose and Slide Mountain in the background.

Mt. Rose Ski Resort.

Lake Tahoe. This is right around the border between NV and CA.

Dollar Point

One last view of the lake before we headed home

The University of Nevada

And, for your viewing pleasure, here is a video of our landing. They say any landing you walk away from is a good landing, but this one was pretty smooth. It is quite a different experience getting to see out of the front of the airplane rather than a little window on the side.