Thursday, June 24, 2010

USA! USA! USA!

I am tantalizingly close to South Africa and it makes me want to see a game there. Sadly, I am restricted to my post until August. I am supposed to be settling in to work, learning about my community, and meeting people. I don't disagree with the policy at all, it just sad that I am in a neighboring country in Africa while the World Cup is going on.

To make up for this, I have been watching as many games as possible at the little pub near my apartment. Its a great place. They have a projector which in effect, gives them a big screen TV. Yesterday, after asking nicely, they put the US game on the big screen instead of the England game. I sat with another volunteer and two Canadians I work with to watch the game.

It was such a good game and I was rocking nervously in my seat until the last few minutes. As soon as Donovan scored the goal, we all jumped up and yelled in excitement. The only problem was that when i jumped up with my arms raised, I accidentally punched the projector. The screen went all wobbly and for a split second, I was horrified. Projectors are expensive in the US and I definitely didn't want to replace one on my (nonexistent) salary. Luckily, no damage was done and we went on celebrating.

I am only a few hours away from South Africa, but I will continue to have to settle for watching them on TV.