Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Passing of Sargent Shriver

(Photo from The Atlantic)

Sargent Shriver, the first director of the Peace Corps, died January 18th at age 95. According to his biographer in a recent article in The Atlantic, Shriver "through the programs he started and ran, and through the generation of public servants he inspired, may have positively affected more people around the world than any twentieth century American who was not a President or other major elected official or Martin Luther King."


And my favorite paragraph from that article:
"I tend to think of myself as a pretty cynical guy. I am not easy to inspire. But Shriver awakened in me--just as he did in thousands of others--the notion that it is always worthwhile to work harder, to do more, and to dream bigger about achieving peace and social justice."