Thursday, September 25, 2008

You Know You Are Too Wrapped Up In Work When...


I have not slept well all week. I don't know if I have too much on my mind or something like that but every now and then I just can't get my mind to settle down and stop thinking.

Last night was one of those nights. I turned out the lights and instantly my mind started racing, thinking about appointments I needed to make and emails I needed to send the next day and all kinds of other things on my to-do list ( a wise person once told me that to-do lists are overrated and after a night like this I'm leaning towards agreeing).

I got hot and threw off the covers... I got cold and needed them. I was uncomfortable in one position so I switched and then got uncomfortable in that one. It was just one of those nights.

I finally drifted off to sleep and had very weird dreams. One of them sticks out.

I was at a chapter I visited recently (no names here). A truck pulled up and dumped a gigantic pile of mulch in the front yard. Everyone saw what a mess the truck had made and got upset. I tried to rally everyone. I told them how if everyone did a little but of work they could have it all moved in no time. I held meetings with people individually and showed them how it could be done. The guys started to buy in to it and I left feeling good about them and looked forward to seeing their brand new, landscaped yard.

I check back in and the mulch is gone but not in the yard where it is supposed to be. I walk into the house and the guys have taken the mulch and packed it into their bathroom. I get mad and begin to shovel it outside. The guys start yelling at me to stop and grab my shovel. One of them asks me to leave because they were doing just fine without me.

 I don't need to be a shrink to figure out the meaning of this dream. This one hit pretty close to home. It pretty much sums up my job.