Friday, February 27, 2009

Finding my Successor, Not Replacement

This weekend I am back in Oxford to meet the potential leadership consultant candidates. It has made me think back two years ago about going through the process myself. It is funny to think that I was just as scared and guarded as the guys who are here now.

I am here with two other consultants to show the candidates around and get to interact with them some outside of the interview setting. I read through all of the candidate's applications and essays and it made me want to go back and read my essays. I still have them on my computer and I was really surprised by some of what I wrote. I don't know if I am ready to post them here but I like being able to go back and see what I thought about the job and the differences between what I expected and how things actually are.

While I was in the office, I bumped into the past executive director and mentioned to him (as a joke) that I was hoping to find my replacement in the next pool of applicants. He stopped and said, "Lightbulbs get replaced. People don't. You are unique and cannot be replaced. You will be looking for your successor." Now, I am not so great that he was trying to say that I alone cannot be replaced, but he brought up an interesting point.

The interviews are also bringing some finalty to my term with the Fraternity. This semester has been one of lasts, but now I really feel like I am on my way out.

This job has been an incredible experience. I won't say that every day has been great and I loved the job every minute. There have been rough days, weeks, and months. Going back and reading those essays has made me think about how I have changed and the ways my experience in this job impacted me.

I am not done processing that yet but when I do, I will try to put some things up here.