Monday, April 20, 2009

There is more to Florida than Retirement Centers and Beaches

When I was in Jacksonville on a visit, I got away to to see some of the sights. I visited Fort Caroline (http://www.nps.gov/foca/).





The fort was actually a bit of a dissapointment. Historians do not know where the fort was actually located so they built a reconstruction based on their best guess. I would imagine they are not close at all for how it looked or where it is located. I went inside the fort and it is nothing more than a triangle with some walls and a few replica cannon.


After visiting the fort I went on a nture hike and it was a cool experience. It was a little path through the woods and looked like a jungle.





Towards the end of the trail, I noticed some movement along one side and it turned out to be a turtle. It has been while since I have actually seen one in the wild and I stood and watched him for a bit.


I also shot some video of him.



There was also a pretty good panaramic view.