Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Rise and Shine (Cock-a-Doodle-Doo)


This is what a sunrise looks like from my apartment.

I can't remember the last time I was up to see a sunrise in the US (other than maybe waking up early to catch a flight or take a trip). I can certainly say it was not often at all.

Now in Botswana, I am an early riser. Who would have thought? I get up every morning before 6am and have breakfast on my balcony and watch the sun come up. Surprisingly, I have really enjoyed having a little time to relax in the morning rather than rush to work. I get to do a quick workout, make a cup of coffee, and then just sit and enjoy.

I hardly even need an alarm clock. We have the expression in the US that when one wakes early, they are "up before the chickens." In reality that is quite early. There is a rooster that lives in one of the yards that is adjacent to my place. He typically begins crowing around 4 or 5am and is surprisingly loud. It sounds like he is sitting right outside my window, not 20 yards away. It is fine for the weekdays when I have to get up early, but on the weekends, I have vivid daydreams of wringing his neck.

It is still a struggle at times, but I am slowly embracing the slow life. Now all I need is a rocking chair.