Friday, April 8, 2011

The Best of Year One: #4

Seeing Elephants

Okay, so I have seen an elephant before but it was in a zoo so it shouldn’t count. The Greenville Zoo had an elephant named Joy and I remember going to see her on a field trip. You could smell her enclosure from about a hundred yards away and all she did was stand around. I don’t remember if I felt bad for her but I do remember thinking that elephants didn’t really do anything.

Seeing elephants in the wild was a rush. I am fascinated by them and could watch them for hours and not get bored.

They are incredibly intelligent and can live as long as a human being. Elephants also are either right or left “handed.” You can tell by looking at their tusks. The tusk on the elephant’s dominant side will be more worn down than the other.

I feel very fortunate to have seen them in the wild, and in the future I will be hard pressed to visit any zoos.