Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Kudu Steaks

I was walking through the grocery store the other day and decided to quickly pass by the meat section. This particular store seems to specialize in selling bits, pieces, and organs, rather than the cuts of meat I am used to. I generally do not linger, but that day I decided to have a look.

I passed by the packaged chicken feet (a real bargain at $3 per kilogram), chicken hearts, and cow intestines (they look and smell awful); then I saw some packaged meat that had big "special cut" stickers. I picked one up and it said the meat was Kudu and it was only 10 Pula (about $1.50). A Kudu is like a big deer and I have seen several of them on safari since I have been here.

Having never cooked "bush meat," I decided to give it a try. I really had no clue what I was doing or how to cook it but I figured it couldn't be that hard. I broiled it in my oven like I would a steak and then sat down to eat it. It definitely tastes a little "gamey" but was good. I think I overcooked it slightly because I didn't know if it was okay to eat it with a little pink.

After doing a little research today, it turns out that Kudu is a very popular meat in South Africa and is a very lean type of meat. I will definitely be cooking it again (but maybe with a little pink next time).