Monday, June 22, 2009

Lost in Translation

The source of most of our funny stories and times of complete stupidity mostly stem from not being able to speak the language of the country we are currently in.

Before the trip it was a little bit of a concern but we figured that a lot of Europeans would speak English and it wouldn't be so difficult. How stupid and naive we were.

I have already posted about our adventures in Paris but there have also been some good misques throughout the trip. I am becoming quite adept at saying the wrong word in a different language. When we were getting tickets to go up the Eiffel tower I paid for the tickets and then enteded to say thank you (which in French is Merci). Instead for some reason I said "Bonjour" which means "Hello." She gave me a funny look and so I just smiled and walked off.

Another time was in Prague. We had no clue how to say anything in Czech and pretty much gave up trying. When we were out to eat one night the waitress. She said something in czech which is kind of a catch-all word that can mean "Enjoy." I again jumped the gun and said the word for You're welcome. She gave me a funny look and then walked off. I am pretty sure she spoke very good English but we couldn't even figure out how to ask people that in Czech.

Its been a very interesting experience to say the least. One of the hardest things about the language barrier has been in restaurants. Half the time I just point at something and hope it works out (like pig's knee in Berlin).

It makes me want to start learning another language when I get back home.